Local Funding

Where Is the Money Going?

Cities, counties and transit agencies will share an even split of SB 1 funding ($26 billion) to improve local streets and roads, expand the state’s growing network of pedestrian and cycle routes, and increase transit service.

4000+

$5.0B

Over 4,000 local projects receiving SB 1 funds

Without SB 1, local communities would have paid $20 billion more to bring their roads into a state of good repair

$5 Billion to improve local transportation infrastructure

Provides $200 million in matching funds to local entities who are already making their own extra investment in transportation

Local Streets and Roads Local Streets and Roads Program (LSRP): $1.5 Billion

Addresses years of unfunded road maintenance, rehabilitation and critical safety projects. Invests in "Complete Streets" projects uniquely tailored to the needs, preferences and functions of the people who live there.

For more information, visit the California Transportation Commission (CTC)'s Local Streets and Roads Program page.

local streets and roads State-Local Partnership Program (LPP): $200 Million Annually

  • Supports the investment that local communities have made in their region through voter-approved transportation tax measures through matching funds.
  • Projects will include road maintenance and rehabilitation purposes and other transportation infrastructure improvements.
  • Funds are allocated by the CTC with 60% available by formula and 40% available on a competitive basis, to ensure smaller jurisdictions are able to compete.

For more information on the program, visit the CTC's Local Partnership Program page.

State Transportation Improvement Program Regional Share State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) Regional Share: $82.5 Million

SB 1 funds will be used to restore the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). Projects funded by the STIP include future state highway, intercity rail and transit improvements throughout California, including new capacity projects.

Prior to SB 1, the California Transportation Commission (CTC) had to cut and delay $1.5 billion in projects from STIP. The funds are divided into two broad programs: the regional component, which goes to Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Regional Transportation Planning Agencies, comprising 75 percent of the funds and the interregional component, improving highways between cities, comprising the remaining 25 percent.

Local Planning Grants Local Planning Grants: $25 Million Annually

These grants are intended to strengthen the economy, promote equity and protect the environment.

Sustainable Community Grants

Sustainable Communities grants are intended for regional multimodal transportation and land use planning projects which support regional sustainable community strategies and help achieve California's greenhouse gas reduction targets. Grants are awarded both competitively and by formula to eligible projects.

Adaptation Planning Grants: $20 Million Total, Over Three Years

These grants will help local and regional agencies conduct adaptation planning in a way to ensure transportation assets are resilient in the face of climate change and extreme weather events. SB 1 will provide a total of $20 million over three years for this grant program.

For more information on these local planning grants, visit the Caltrans Transportation Planning Grant Program page.